Friday, February 18, 2011

Book Worms

Big Brother C is dying to go to Great America. Getting the boys to read after school can be a daunting task. Unless of course there is something precious at stake. C was only an hour and a half away from accruing enough minutes to get that free ticket (I hope he gets two and needs a special chaperon!).

 Despite the new Direct TV service in the house, that 6 year old boy read 40 minutes nonstop as soon as he walked into the door from school yesterday, and planned on doing the rest that evening. There have been many times he's read and didn't record his time, so I'm sure he got that ticket. Way to go!!!

Baby V and I have been reading too. It's just as hard trying to get a one year old or less to read as it is a 6 or 9 year old. But the little guy and I made a breakthrough yesterday, spending at least 5 minutes looking at one book. That was Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton. I sang and read as much as I could but we mostly pointed at the pictures and tried to memorize the Mamma Puppy, Baby Puppy, Ball, "O O O," etc. He's doing a good job.

Today we started studying Eric Carle's The Very Lonely Firefly. He can get so interested. He's engaged. He's pointing to the firefly's nose, then his own nose. We point to the firefly's belly, then his own belly. We are on a roll. And as soon as I'm thinking "This kid is a genius!" he slaps the book as hard as he can 6 or 7 times, shuts it, gnaws the corner and whips it over the arm of the chair squealing with delight. I remember, he's only been 1 for a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment