Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Babies are Cute Sponges

To start, I want to thank my followers. Thank you for your support and interest. I hope to become more interesting and never let you down.

Now, have any of you ever see Dana Carvey's 1995 standup "Critic's Choice?" I know my dad has; my brothers and I used to force him to watch the funny parts. It is still in my top 5 of funniest stand-up performances ever. Well, my top three. I can only think of three right now: Eddie Izzard's "Dress to Kill," Eddie Izzard's "Live From Wembly," and the above mentioned "Critic's Choice."

There's a bit in Dana's standup when he talks about fatherhood. Some of the highlights include "It's Nakey Time!" and the trip to the toy store with your kids. The best is when Dana talks about how kids can be soooo cute that you think you could die. In his example, his little boy, Dex asks him, "Daddy . . . does God have feet?" And Dana holds his chest, goes weak in the knees, and reaches for something to steady him as he proclaims "Can't move . . . child . . . too cute!" Netflix it.

Baby V gave me a few moments like that yesterday. First, I kissed the top of his head and he gave me his head two more times so that I may kiss it. A little bit later, as we were organizing his toys into two piles (things that could potentially be alive and inanimate objects) he kissed every stuffed animal thing as I gave it to him to add to the pile. I caught him doing the absolute sweetest thing much later in the afternoon. I was in the kitchen folding laundry while he did his own thing in the living room. I noticed how quite things were and became suspicious. You know when you don't hear anything, they must be up to no good, right? When I peeped into the living room, I found this baby with a dry wipe in his hand and happily cleaning the big chest by the window that holds the blankets. He was cleaning and cleaning and wiping in circular motions. I got my phone and made a quick video to share with his parents because it was just too precious!

He saw me recording him and he just continued to clean; wiping down the arms of the comfy chairs, the window sill, etc. He would wipe and check for dirt under his cloth, turn it around, and keep wiping. When he got to the edge he would kind of sweep his cleaning hand across and off of it as if he were throwing crumbs to the ground to be swept up/vacuumed later. Wow. I clean surfaces a lot. And babies absorb more than we realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment