Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Yay Vitamix!

<><>I scrimped and saved and finally bought the blender of my dreams. The Vitamix. It was waiting for me at work Monday morning. And when that baby went down for a nap, I went to town in the kitchen. The first thing I made was the baby's Green Monster Smoothie. I change the recipe up from time to time, and this time I used applesauce, spinach, and banana. This is the most beautiful green color I've ever seen. Just looking at it makes me feel healthy. 
<><> The next thing I did was put some Prego in the Vitamix and added a big handful of spinach and half of a small zucchini. I added my boosted sauce to the rest, warmed it up and served it with spaghetti for dinner. Unfortunately, when you mix color opposites- green and red- you will always get a less saturated, muddy color. The sauce was less pretty after I added my greens, but healthier. And the boys never noticed. 
<><>For my lunch, I made a Veggie Soup. First, I diced up 1/3rd of an onion and fried it up in a small pot to carmelize it a little. I added one or two diced garlic cloves and various spices halfway through: parsley, tarragon, pepper, salt, and one other. When the onions were about halfway through yummy carmelization, I added one small diced potato and water. When they were soft and the broth was tasty, I threw them in the Vitamix with fresh spinach and zucchini. I added a little sour cream and pepper and enjoyed a tasty, hot, half-raw veggie soup! Yum!
<><>The last thing I did was make each of the boys their own personal smoothie as they came in the door from school. The first two chose strawberry banana with huge baby carrots as a boost. BBB chose banana and carrots. The loved them. I used Dole's Strawberry Banana Orange juice blend, vanilla yogurt, baby carrots, fresh strawberries and bananas and ice.
<><> 
Green Monster Smoothie with Vitamix

Veggie Soup with Vitamix

Dandelion Sculpture at the Park. V's flowers fell out : (

1 comment:

  1. hmmm...I think I now want a blender! My son has become a picky eater lately and isnt getting all the vitamins he needs...and his diapers tell me he isnt getting the right amount of fiber. I checked out some pedisure and was appalled at the prices! So this just might be our solution! Thank you so much for the tip! oh and as a side note, I have always loved your name, First and Last. It sounds artistic, like you were destined for greatness. Your parents did great! haha a little random I know ;)

    ReplyDelete